By RICK CURL
Of The Record Staff
Sargento Foods has ordered a recall of some of their products due to the discovery of a harmful bacteria at a production plant.
At the center of the recall is the company’s Longhorn Colby Cheese which is supplied by Deutsch Kase Haus, LLC of Middlebury, Ind. The Hoosier company reported the possibility of Listeria monocytogenes in the product.
• The affected product is Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.85 oz. package. The UPC code on the cheese is 4610000228 with sell-by dates of 12APR17B and 10MAY17B labeling as well as
• Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese 8 oz. packages with a UPC of 4610040041 with sell-by dates of H14JUN17 and H12JUL17. The products were all packaged at the Sargento Plymouth, Wis., facility.
No illnesses have been reported in regards to the contaminated products, but just as a safety precaution Sargento is also recalling five other products.
They include other products packaged on the same line as the See Sargento, Page 3 Sargento
Continued From Page One
• They include Sargento Sliced Colby Jack Cheese, 12 oz. packages with a UPC of 4610000109 and a sell-by date of 11JUN17B as well as
• Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese, 12 oz. packages with a UPC of 4610000108 with sell-by dates of 12JUN17B, 09JUL17B and 10JUL17B.
• Shredded cheeses affected include Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Taco Cheese, 8 oz. packages with a UPC of 4610040002 with a sell-by dates H14JUN17, F28JUN17 and D28JUN17;
• Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Colby Jack Cheese, 8 oz. packages with a UPC of 4610040014 and sell-by date of F05JUL17;
• Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076 with sell-by date of F05JUL17.
Sargento has added a page to its corporate website — sargento. com — to offer assistance to consumers who aren’t sure if the products they purchased are subject to recall. Consumers are urged to visit the website at www.info.sargento.com and access the company’s search product tool. Customers should enter the UPC number or the sell-by date on the package.
The UPC number is under the bar code on the back of the package while the sell by date is located on the front.
If the cheese is part of the company recall it will be reflected by the message “Search Results for: …” which indicates the consumer should call the company at (800) 243-3737 in order to begin the refund process.
Customers can also call the same number if there are any additional questions. The line is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time.