They were fighting a fire sparked by an 'illegal burn' when the roof collapsed

Posted

Two long-serving firefighters of the Erwin Fire Department were sent to Betsy Johnson Hospital after a roof collapsed in a structure fire they were fighting late Wednesday afternoon.

Assistant Chief John Wilkins of the Erwin Fire Department says the rear of a home in the 1000 block of Antioch Church Road was fully-involved when they arrived on scene along with the Dunn Fire Department.

Firefighters were attacking the blaze when a roof collapsed pushing two of them back. The two were sent to the hospital as a precaution, but are expected to be OK, Wilkins said.

The firefighters were not identified at the scene.

Harnett County Fire Marshal Rodney Daniels said that the home was unoccupied at the time of the blaze, but it was undergoing renovation.

He said that an illegal burn of construction materials outside the home sparked the fire.

The house was deemed a total loss.

No other injuries were reported. Traffic was rerouted around the scene at the Moose Lodge on Antioch Church Road as firefighters worked to extinguish the flames around 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Check back with mydailyrecord.com for more on this developing story.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment