Due to the uncertainty regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, the reenactment, scheduled for March 21-22 at Bentonville Battlefield has been canceled. The event had been rescheduled from its original date in March 2020.
FOUR OAKS — Due to the uncertainty regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, the reenactment, scheduled for March 21-22 at Bentonville Battlefield has been canceled. The event had been rescheduled from its original date in March 2020.
As one of North Carolina’s largest and most popular attractions, months of planning and preparation are required to safely host the program. Event organizers have waited as long as possible to make this difficult decision.
“As a state historic site, the safety of the visiting public is always paramount, which led us to cancel the event. That said, we are still extremely excited about future preservation, interpretation, and exploration of North Carolina’s premier Civil War battlefield,” said Bentonville site manager Colby Stevens.
Taking place once every five years, these anniversary reenactments provide a large source of revenue to fund interpretation and preservation efforts by the site’s nonprofit support group, the Friends of Bentonville Battlefield Inc.
Friend’s President Pattie Smith, said, “Despite the financial importance of the event, the Friends fully support this decision. We are hopeful, however, that everyone will seriously consider supporting the site, and the Friends, in one of the ways listed below.”
Those who have purchased tickets, or registered as participants, have two options for donation:
Help build a new tour stop: Webb’s battery on the Cole Plantation. Donate the price of the ticket to a new tour stop interpreting the 19th Indiana Battery and its eventual capture by Confederate forces. The stop will also tell the story of Pvt. Peter Anderson, a 17-year-old Medal of Honor recipient.
Increase Battlefield interpretation with the Friends of Bentonville Battlefield. Donate the price of the ticket to the Friends of Bentonville Battlefield, a nonprofit organization that supports the state-owned battlefield. This donation will fund preservation and interpretive programs at Bentonville Battlefield.
E-mail email@example.com to let organizers know your choice of donation. Your donation includes a free, one-year membership to Friends of Bentonville Battlefield.
If you wish to obtain a refund, mail the tickets back to the Friends of Bentonville Battlefield at 5466 Harper House Road, Four Oaks, NC 27524. A refund will be issued via paper check, which will be sent to the return address.
If you have questions regarding ticket refunds, call 910-594-0789. Tickets must be returned to receive a refund.
For participant refunds, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your registration information.
The Battle of Bentonville, fought March 19-21, 1865, involved 80,000 troops in one of the last major actions of the war. Bentonville Battlefield is located at 5466 Harper House Road, Four Oaks, 3 miles north of Newton Grove on S.R. 1008, about one hour from Raleigh and about 45 minutes from Fayetteville.
For more information, visit www.nchistoricsites.org/bentonvi/bentonvi.htm or call 910-594-0789.