Woman dies in house fire

From staff reports
Posted 5/3/21

A Spring Lake woman, trapped in a bedroom, died when her house caught fire Saturday morning.

Sign up to keep reading — It's FREE!

In an effort to improve our website and enhance our local coverage, MyDailyRecord.com has switched to a membership model. Fill out the form below to create a free account. Once you're logged in, you can continue using the site as normal. You should remain logged in on your computer or device as long as you don’t clear your browser history/cookies.

Woman dies in house fire

Posted

A Spring Lake woman, trapped in a bedroom, died when her house caught fire Saturday morning.

Her brother, who reported the fire, and several first responders were unable to free 68-year-old Doris Chisum from the blaze.

The Harnett County 911 Center received a report of the fire with a person trapped in the home at 11983 N.C. Highway 210 S. in Spring Lake at 9:36 a.m.

Donald Barnes told dispatchers he was working outside when he heard the smoke detectors from inside the home he shared with his sister going off, according to a release from the Harnett County Sheriff’s Office. “Barnes attempted to enter the residence but the fire and smoke prevented him from reaching his sister.”

HCSO deputies, Harnett County EMS medics and firefighters from several departments responded to the scene and reported fire in a bedroom with Chisum trapped inside.

At this time, the fire appears to be accidental but the investigation is continuing, according to the HCSO release.

Responding agencies included the Flatbranch Fire Department, Anderson Creek Emergency Services, Benhaven Emergency Services, Spout Springs Emergency Services, and the Harnett County Fire Marshal’s Office.

Comments

No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment